Telephone: (202) 439-4176
Welcome to Just Economics, LLC
With more than 35 years of experience, Just Economics helps communities harmonize economic incentives with public policy objectives to:
- Reduce blight by putting vacant and boarded-up properties back into use;
- Enhance business and employment opportunities;
- Fund transit and other public infrastructure;
- Reduce parking & traffic congestion;
- Enhance housing affordability;
- Enhance the environment;
- Balance Budgets; and
- Reduce sprawl.
Just Economics accomplishes these goals by helping communities re-engineer taxes, fees and regulations so that:
- Incentives embedded in taxes, fees and regulations encourage the private sector to create jobs, affordable housing, transportation efficiency and sustainable economic development;
- Needed public revenues are obtained; and
- Government sustainability, efficiency and competitiveness are enhanced.
Articles of Interest
- "Gentrification & Blight: Relationship to Involuntary Displacement" by Rick Rybeck, American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Vol. 79, No. 2, p. 541, March, 2020
- "Avoiding Mis-Givings: Recycling Community-Created Land Values for Affordability, Sustainability and Equity" by Rick Rybeck, Journal of Affordable Housing and Community Development Law, Vol 28 No 2, p. 299, October, 2019
- "The Jobs-Housing Hamster Wheel" by Rick Rybeck, August 20, 2018
- "Financing Infrastructure with Value Capture: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly" by Rick Rybeck, February 21, 2018
- "Want Affordable Housing? Look to the Land" by Rick Rybeck, Solid Ground Campaign Blog, May 17, 2016
- "Funding Infrastructure to Rebuild Equitable, Green Prosperity" by Rick Rybeck, Revitalization News, July 15, 2015
- "Fixing the Political Disconnect Between Infrastructure Needs and Funding" by Rick Rybeck, GOVERNING, October 3, 2013
- "Break the Boom and Bust Cycle" by Rick Rybeck and Walter Rybeck, PM Magazine, August 2012
- "Economic Incentives for Affordable and Sustainable Development" by Rick Rybeck on the Zintro Blog, June 27, 2012
- "Guidebook to Funding Transportation Through Land Value Return and Recycling (NCHRP Report 873)" Transportation Research Board, April, 2018
- "Funding Long-Term Infrastructure for Growth, Sustainability & Equity" by Rick Rybeck, DC Tax Revision Commission, September 20, 2013
- "Public Acceptability of Road Use Pricing - Literature Review" by Just Economics for The Brookings Institution, April 28, 2012
Selected Speaking Engagements
- March, 2019 -- Finding Infrastructure with Value Capture
- Jan 31, 2014 -- Funding Infrastructure for Prosperity, Equity & Sustainability
- October, 2011 -- View Rybeck's 3-minute presentation, "Funding Infrastructure for Affordable & Sustainable Communities"
- Nov 17, 2017 -- "Infrastructure Perversity: Why No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"
- January 11, 2015 -- "Value Capture Methods"
- Sept 20, 2012 -- Revitalizing Markets and Achieving Smart Growth
- May 24, 2012 -- Transit-Oriented Development and Value Capture: What is it? Does it work? How can you use it? Stories and Lessons From the Front Lines.
- May 15, 2012 -- Value Capture's Potential to Fund Transit
- May 12, 2012 -- Tactical Urbanism, Economics and Community
- April 11, 2012 -- Integrating Transportation & Land Use for Sustainability & Equity
- September 26, 2011 -- Successfully Financing Mixed-Use Development and Place-Making Infrastructure
- Oct 3-5, 2010 -- Toward Sustainable Infrastructure
- May 13-14, 2010 -- User Fees for the Invisible User
- March 22, 2010 - Exploring Funding Through Real Estate Development
- March 22, 2010 - Potential & Scope for Non-Fare Revenue